This file is http://www.bradleyrhodes.com/Generals/generals-main-reading-list.html
Click for technical
Main Area: Intelligence Augmentation
- Pattie Maes
- Associate Professor
- Media Arts and Sciences Program
- Pattie Maes, Associate Professor
Description: This main area will cover methods for augmenting or enhancing
a person's cognitive abilities. The readings will include publications on
software agents technology, specific systems designed to augment
intelligence, and readings on the philosophy of intelligence augmentation.
Written Requirement: The written requirement for this area will consist of
paper of publishable quality describing an intelligence augmentation
Note: readings in green are readings not in
the official, signed proposal, but which I discovered later and think would
be of interest to others.
History of Intelligence Augmentation
Intelligence Amplification website: http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Individual/Intelligence/
- Bailey, J. "First We Reshape Our Computers, Then Our Computers Reshape
Us: The Broader Intellectual Impact of Parallelism", Journal of the
American Academy of Arts and Sciences, V121, N1, Winter 1992. (also in
N. Metropolis and G-C Rota (Editors) A New Era of Computation, MIT Press,
Cambridge, MA, pp. 67-86.)
- Rodney A. Brooks, "From Earwigs to Humans," to appear in "Robotics and
Autonomous Systems" http://www.ai.mit.edu/~cdp/ascona.ps.Z
P. J. Brown, J. D. Bovey, and X. Chen, "Context-aware
applications: from the laboratory to the marketplace," IEEE Personal
Communications, 4(5), October 1997.
Vannevar Bush, "As we may think," Atlantic Monthly, July 1945.
Sasha Chislenko, "Technology as Extension of Human Functional
Architecture", unpublished, 29-Sep-1997, http://www.lucifer.com/~sasha/articles/techuman.html
Doug Engelbart: Augmenting Human Intellect: a conceptual Framework
Lamming, M., and Flynn, M. 1994, "Forget-me-not:" Intimate Computing
in Support of Human Memory. In Proceedings of FRIEND21, '94 International
Symposium on Next Generation Human Interface, Meguro Gajoen, Japan.
Lamming, M., Brown, P., Carter, K., Eldridge, M.,
Flynn, M., Louie, G., Robinson, P., & Sellen, A. (1994). The design of a
human memory prosthesis. The Computer Journal, 37(3), 153-163.
Douglas B. Lenat, "CYC: A Large-Scale Investment in Knowledge
Infrastructure", Nov. 1995, Vol. 38 No. 11, CACM
- JCR Licklider, 1960, Man-Computer Symbiosis, IRE Transactions of Human
Factors in Electronics HFE-1(1), March 1960 4-11
Moravec, Ch. 3, "Power and Presence", unpublished, 1997,
Gardner, H., "Multiple Intelligences : The Theory in Practice", Basic
- Turkle, S. "Life on the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet",
Touchstone Books, 1997
Wearable Computing and Augmented Reality
Proceedings of the First IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computing,
Cambridge MA, 1997.
Presence Special Issue on Augmented Reality, vol 6(4), Fall 1997.
Billinghurst, Mark, Bowskill, J., Dyer, N. and Morphett, J. "An Evaluation
of Wearable Information Spaces. Accepted for publication VRAIS'98.
Copperstock, J., et al., "Evolution of a Reactive Environment," Proceedings
of CHI'95, ACM, May 1995, pp. 170-177.
- Blair MacIntyre, "Augmented Computing Environments: Augmented Reality and
Ubiquitous Computing." White-paper at Chi97 workshop on Ubiquitous
Computing: the Impact on Future Paradigms and HCI Research
Blair MacIntyre, "Augmenting Intelligent Environments: Augmented Reality as
an Interface to Intelligent Environments" To appear in AAAI 1998 Spring
Symposium Series, Intelligent Environments Symposium, March 23-25, 1998,
Stanford University, CA.
- Mellor, JP, "Enhanced Reality Visualization in a Surgical Environment,"
Cambridge, MA, MIT AI Lab Tech Report 1995, 102
Feiner, S., MacIntyre, B., and Seligmann, D. Knowledge-based augmented
reality. Communications of the ACM, 36(7), July 1993, 52-62.
Rhodes, B, "The Wearable Remembrance Agent: A system for augmented memory,"
to appear in Personal Technologies, special issue on wearable computing
Jim Vallino, "Introduction to Augmented Reality",
- Wellner, P., Mackay, W., and Gold, R., "Computer Augmented Environments:
Back to the Real World," CACM, Vol. 36, No 7, July 93
Isbister, K & T Layton. "Intelligent Agents: a review of current
- Joachims, T., Freitag, D. and Mitchell, T. WebWatcher: A Tour Guide for
the World Wide Web, in Proceedings of IJCAI97, August 1997.
- Jourdan, Jean et al. "Interfaces that Learn: A Learning Apprentice for
Calendar Management," CMU CS Tech Report 91-135, 1991
- Kozierok, Robyn. A Learning Approach to Knowledge Acquisition for
Intelligent Interface Agents, SM Thesis, MIT Dept of EECSu 1993
Lanier, J. "Agents of Alienation",
- Henry Lieberman, "Autonomous Interface Agents," in Proceedings of CHI-97,
Atlanta, Georgia, March 1997, ACM Press, 67-74
Maes, P., "Agents that Reduce Work and Information Overload",
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 37, No.7, July 1994.
Schneiderman, B. "Looking for the Bright Side of User Interface Agents",
Interactions, January 1995.
- Shardanand, Upendra, and Pattie Maes. "Social Information Filtering:
Algorithms for Automating 'Word of Mouth'," Proceedings of CHI'95, ACM
- Sheth, Beerud and Pattie Maes. "Evolving Agents for Personalized
Infomation Filtering," Proceedings of the Ninth Conference on AI for
Applications, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1993
- Bradshaw, J (ed), "Software Agents", AAAI Press/MIT Press, 1997
- Huhns, M & Singh, M (eds), "Readings in Agents", Morgan Kaufmann, 1998
- Edwin Hutchins, "Cognition in the Wild", MIT Press, 1996
- Nwana, Hyacinth S. and N. Azarmi (eds), "Software Agents and Soft
Computing: Towards Enhancing Machine Intelligence", Springer-Verlag, 1997